Apr 14,2009 00:00
L'AQUILA, Italy -- Aftershocks from last week's earthquake still rock L'Aquila and surrounding towns in Italy's Arbuzzo region, officials report.
Since the 6.3-magnitude quake struck April 6, more than 800 temblors, including several measured between 4 and 5 in the Richter scale, have shaken the region, Environmental News Service reported Tuesday.
The latest official report indicated the quake killed least 294 people with 30 missing, injured more than 1,000 and left 40,000 homeless. More than 30 tent cities have been erected, the news service said.
"These people are now in need of everything from food, water and basic goods to shelter, medical aid and psychological assistance," said Tommaso Della Longa, a spokesman for the Italian Red Cross. "(But) they take this tragedy with dignity and most do not want to leave their homeland."
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on Sunday said the emergency phase had ended but that it would be months before the displaced people would know whether they could return to their homes.
Copyright © 2009, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.