Owner arrested when dog dies of heat stroke
Apr 23,2009 00:00 by Bend_Weekly_News_Sources

TUALTIN, Ore. – Tualatin Police say that a Cottage Grove woman left her dog in direct sunlight in her SUV when temperatures soared to 80 degrees, and was cited for animal neglect when the small pug died.

Officers responded to the Bridgeport Village Mall about 3:20 p.m., April 20, and contacted the driver, 55-year old Linda Rae Daniels of Cottage Grove, Oregon. Daniels told police she left the dog in the SUV with the back windows rolled down about three inches, but when she returned to the vehicle after shopping for an hour the dog was dead.

According to a news release, Daniels said she poured water on the pug in a failed attempt to revive it, then placed the deceased pug in the backseat, covered it with a carpet and returned to her shopping.

The dog was taken to the Humane Society where a necropsy was performed in the next day. "There was evidence of heat stroke," police reported.

Daniels was arrested and issued a criminal citation for first-degree animal neglect.

"Citizens should leave their pets at home, in a cool area, on warm days. On mild, sunny days, a car's temperature can quickly rise to well above 120 degrees, even when the windows are down slightly, putting pets in grave danger of heat stroke," police reminded.