Fumes seep into house, kill 3 in Texas
Apr 24,2009 00:00 by UPI

SAN ANTONIO -- Three people found dead in their San Antonio, Texas, home probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning, police say.

The bodies of a father, his son and daughter-in-law were discovered Thursday and investigators found a Hummer in the house's garage that had been allowed to run until its fuel tank emptied, the San Antonio Express-News reported. The car's keys were reportedly still in the ignition when police arrived.

Detective Raymond Roberts, who wouldn't release the victims' names, told the newspaper it was unknown how the odorless poisonous gas was able to infiltrate the living quarters of the house.

Neighbors in the gated community indicated that the three occasionally used the house as a second home, with their permanent residence being in Torreon, Mexico.

Police told the Express-News that the father appeared to have been sleeping in an upstairs bedroom when he died. The son died while in a bathroom taking a shower and his wife was reportedly found lying on the floor of the same bathroom.

Copyright © 2009, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.