Dishwasher catches fire, damages SE Bend home
Jan 20,2007 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott

Firefighters quickly extinguished an electrical fire in a southeast Bend home Saturday morning, keeping damages estimated at $3,500 contained to the kitchen area.  Homeowners found flames inside the dishwasher when they traced a smell of burning plastic inside their single-story home.

Jim and Shirley Taylor “followed their noses” to the electric dishwasher in the kitchen near the rear of the house at 1529 SE Virginia Road in Ramsay Estates, tracing an odor they described similar to burning plastic or hot electrical wires.

Fire Inspector T.J. Johannsen said the Taylor’s first unsuccessfully attempted to put out the fire, then phoned 9-1-1 about 9:30 a.m. this morning.

Four firefighters from the Bend Police Department responding to the alarm found smoke in the entryway and living room, and quickly knocked down the flames in the kitchen’s southeast corner.

There were no injuries reported, said Johannsen, and the structure was insured.  Damages were estimated at $2,500 to the home, and an additional $1,000 to its contents.