Jan 23,2007 00:00
Bend Weekly News Sources
The Department of Environmental Quality has scheduled a public meeting and hearing on a proposed water quality permit to manage discharges from the storm water system in Bend. Public comment is invited during the session, scheduled for Tuesday, February 6.
The permit will require Bend to implement measures that will reduce the environmental impacts of storm water pollution, and is required by the federal Clean Water Act. Larger cities such as Eugene, Oregon, have operated under a storm water permit since 1995. Smaller jurisdictions are in the second phase required by the Clean Water Act. The permit has requirements in six areas:
· Public education and outreach on Stormwater impacts
· Public involvement and participation
· Illicit discharge detection and elimination
· Construction site Stormwater runoff control
· Post-construction Stormwater management
· Pollution prevention for municipal operations
The information session begins at 6 p.m., followed by the public hearing at 6:30 p.m. It will be held in the Brooks Meeting Room of the Bend Public Library at 601 NW Wall Street.
Written comments are due by 5 p.m. Tuesday, February 13, 2007.
For more information, contact Greg Geist at (800) 452-4011, ext. 6991. The proposed permit can be viewed by clicking here.