Jan 26,2007 00:00
Bend Weekly News Sources
The Oregon Chapter of the Pajama Program, with the help of the Redmond Chamber’s Leadership Redmond, will be collecting pajamas and books during February to benefit Deschutes County children who have been removed from their homes.
The Chapter, based in Bend, Oregon and founded by Deschutes County Road Department employee Wanda Callahan, aims to collect at least 200 pairs of pajamas and 200 books to benefit children ages five-to-17 in Deschutes County by the end of February.
According to Oregon’s Department of Human Services, about ten children are removed from their homes each month and placed in foster care in Deschutes County because their parents have made decisions that jeopardize their safety or well being.
These children leave their home without sleepwear (if they own any), and without their belongings. The new Chapter of the Pajama Program seeks to clothe children at night with their own, warm pajamas and books to read. The goal of the organization is to create a warmer, more loving environment for children at the most vulnerable time in their life.
The Pajama Program is a national, New York-based 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization providing new pajamas and books to needy children (www.pajamaprogram.org ). Many of these children are in foster family homes waiting and hoping to be adopted. They also may have been abused or abandoned or have never enjoyed the comfort of having a loving mother or father.
How You Can Help:
· Between now and the end of February, organize the employees at your place of business, your church or civic club to gather new pajamas and books. Then, drop the items off at one of the pajama/book designated drop-off sites during the month of February.
· Shop and donate pajamas and books on your own, recruit your children’s help.
· Donate financially to the Pajama Program, all donations are tax deductible and will be used to purchase pajamas and books for children of Deschutes County. Call 330-4640 for more information.
If you are not able to organize items for the pajama and book drive in February, donations will be received on an ongoing basis as long as children are being placed in foster care homes.
For more information about the February 2007 Pajama Program pajama and book donation drive, please call or email Anna Johnson at 330-4640, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pajama & Book Drive Drop-Off Locations
· The Bend Chamber of Commerce, 777 NW Wall St., Suite 200
· Bank of the Cascades -- Old Mill, 233 SW Wilson
· Bank of the Cascades -- South Bend, 61250 S. Hwy. 97
· St. Charles Medical Center, 2500 NE Neff Road
· St. Charles Business Services Office, 63047 NE Layton Avenue
· Deschutes County Road Department, 61150 SE 27th Street
· Deschutes County Administration/BOCC Offices, Deschutes Services Center, 1300 NW Wall St., Second Floor
· Scrapadoodle 354 NE Norton Ave.
· Bank of the Cascades -- Redmond Main, 154 SW 6th
· Bank of the Cascades -- South Redmond, 2542 S. Hwy. 97
· St. Charles Redmond Medical Center, 1253 N. Canal Blvd
· Eagle Crest Resort Administration Offices, 7555 Falcon Crest Dr.
· City of Redmond/City Hall, 716 SW Evergreen Avenue
· American Family Insurance, 457 SW 6th Street
· Sisters Chamber of Commerce, 291 E. Main St.
· La Pine Chamber of Commerce, 51425 Hwy. 97, Ste. A