Fire damages NE Bend apartment complex
Feb 05,2007 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott

A resident returned home to her apartment in northeast Bend Sunday afternoon to find it filled with smoke from a fire that caused $60,000 in damage, Bend Fire authorities reported.

Ethel A. Savage returned home about 1:45 p.m. to her unit in the two-story complex of The Meadows Apartments, located at 1855 N.E. Lotus Drive, said Captain Steve O’Malley. 

 
An apparent
electrical failure was found behind a reclining chair which caused nearby combustibles to ignite resulting in “considerable” heat and smoke damage to the entire apartment -- with the exception of one bedroom.  The door to the bedroom had been closed, said the captain.

Three engine companies and 14 firefighters responded to the fire which caused an estimated $35,000 in damage to the building, with an additional $25,000 loss to contents.

Fire Captain O’Malley reminded residents to turn off and/or unplug electrical appliances that are not in use.  Also, he added, closing doors between rooms when leaving will significantly reduce damage caused by heat and smoke in the event of fire.