Feb 09,2007 00:00
Red seems to be the colorful star of the current fashion season - with Bono's Red campaign to raise funds for fighting the war on AIDS, and now the American Heart Association's nationwide movement to increase awareness of heart disease, the No. 1 killer of women. It's a good thing to think red, not only around Valentine's Day during "heart" month, but every day of the year.
The fashion crowd is passionate about red, too, as a national symbol for women and heart disease awareness. Every February, during New York Fashion Week, designers create dresses for celebrities to commemorate the progress that has been made in the fight against this disease. To learn more, visit www.hearttruth.gov.
"It's definitely going to be THE color of the year," says Eiseman. "Whether expressing danger, celebration, love or passion, red will not be ignored. In 2007, there is an awareness of the melding of diverse cultural influences, and chili pepper is a reflection of exotic tastes both on the tongue and to the eye.
"Nothing reflects the spirit of adventure more than the color red. Incorporating this color into your wardrobe and living space adds drama and excitement, as it stimulates the senses."
Expect to see red showing up in everything from shoes to cell phones to dining room walls.
"In 2007, we're going to see people making greater strides toward expressing their individuality," says Lisa Herbert, executive vice president of the fashion, home and interiors division at Pantone. "The color red makes a bold statement. We're seeing shifts in people's opinions on current events and major changes in the way they are expressing themselves through technology. People are open to the possibilities of the future and red celebrates that."
So now that your taste buds have been whetted and you're all fired up to buy a taste of something spicy and red to put passion into your wardrobe, here are a few hot fashion ideas to try:
- Check out Robert Cavalli's red, satin-stripe blouse and floral-print boot cut jeans from the "Lipstick Twenties" collection - a great way to celebrate spring ( www.neimanmarcus.com).
- Go for Burberry's new bucket tote in its signature nova check with red, glossy, leather trim and rope drawstring detail ( www.burberry.com).
- Get romantic in a pink and red printed, hearts halter dress ( www.freepeople.com).
- Surprise your sweetheart with a red, satin hatbox filled with luscious bath products from 1800flowers.com.
- Stop by the Prescriptives counter at your local department store and receive a red mouth makeover, complete with Colorscope Racecar Red or Cabaret sparkling lip color, "Sunburst" tinted lip balm and ruby lip pencil ( www.prescriptives.com).
- Step out in red, satin, platform, peep-toe pumps by Christian Louboutin ( www.bergdorfgoodman.com).
- Add some red heart earrings to your jewelry collection by Lalique ( www.vivre.com).
- Wrap up in something elegant and cashmere ( www.thepashminastore.com).
- Don't forget the guys with satin, burgundy ties, Venetian red crewnecks and cotton boxers from Mossimo ( www.target.com).
- Do ignite some passion with Healing Garden's new collection of Passion Rose beauty products infused with natural botanical extracts ( www.healinggarden.com, Sears and select Wal-Mart stores).
- Smooth on something good for your skin like Red Water 24H Balancing Face Cream with Pomegranate (available in the European Beauty Collection at Walgreens or www.europeanbeautycollection.com).
© Copley News Service