Feb 09,2007 00:00
While you may not have the money, time or desire for a facelift, injectable dermal fillers are becoming a popular, affordable option for smoothing wrinkles and restoring a more youthful appearance.
New on the market is Radiesse, a next-generation cosmetic dermal filler recently approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the long-lasting correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
Radiesse is composed of calcium-based microspheres that are injected into the skin in small amounts with a fine needle. The product offers immediate results with cosmetic benefits that last about 12 months or longer, without surgery, downtime or the risks associated with permanent implants. These longer-lasting effects amount to more value for the patient, doctors say.
"The approval of Radiesse ushers in a new era in the non-surgical management of facial aging because it volumizes facial folds and rebuilds the skin's foundation to create a youthful appearance for patients," said Dr. Lawrence Bass, a clinical assistant professor of plastic surgery and director of the Minimally Invasive Plastic Surgery Program at New York University Medical Center.
With the various cosmetic fillers available, the art is in selecting the appropriate product to meet your individual needs. When considering treatment, keep the following safety tips in mind:
* Ask questions. Check the doctor's credentials. Ask how much experience your doctor has using injectable fillers. Ask to see before-and-after treatment photos.
* Inform the doctor of any medications you are taking.
* Look for a safe, clean setting with appropriate medical personnel and sterile equipment, as well as the necessary containers for the disposal of medical sharps as required by Occupational Safety and Health Administration regulations.
* For the first 24 hours after treatment, ice the treatment area to reduce swelling and bruising. A bag of frozen peas or corn makes a great reusable and moldable ice pack. Elevating your head with an extra pillow at night also helps to minimize puffiness.
* Use a sunscreen daily to maintain your youthful appearance.
For more information, visit www.radiesse.com.