Cigarette sparks NW Bend house fire
Feb 19,2007 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott

An improperly discarded cigarette sparked a small fire in a northwest Bend residence Sunday night, prompting a reminder from Bend Fire Battalion Chief Bill Boos to ensure proper disposal of any burning materials.

Twelve firefighters from three engine companies were called to the home of Jackie and Dave Warrington at 2417 NW Hosmer Lake Drive about 10:30 p.m. February 18.  Upon arrival, Boos reported, light smoke was coming from the rear of the residence. 

With firefighters able to quickly contain the fire to the area of origin, Chief Boos said, damages to the half-million dollar structure were estimated at only $5,000.