Feb 26,2007 00:00
WASHINGTON - Gov. Ted Strickland believes President Bush's surge of troops into
"It is likely, I believe, under the surge proposals that additional Ohioans will- be called into action perhaps as early as - the early part of next year," he said Monday.
Strickland was responding to reports that 2,000 or more
The team has about 2,400 troops in
So far, no decision has been made to send the team to
Strickland, a Democrat, opposes the president's plan to deploy more than 21,000 additional troops to
"I think it's an unwise course of action and I am troubled that young Americans and perhaps many young Ohioans will find themselves being placed in that situation where they may lose their lives, lose their health, lose their limbs," he said.
Yet Strickland also acknowledged that the wars in
"I've heard from several of my fellow governors here in the last couple of days about their intense concern about equipment that their National Guard has available to them," Strickland said after he and several other governors met with Bush in the White House Monday.
But he added that "probably because of good planning on the part of" the
Strickland said Wayt told him "he believes that we do have sufficient equipment to continue the kinds of training and preparation that will be needed prior to our men and women leaving
Ohio Guard spokesman Mark Wayda agreed that
"We can do our homeland security missions," he said, referring to the guard's capacity to respond to any potential attacks or emergencies in the state.
However, Wayda said if the 37th Infantry Brigade team were to be sent to
The brigade has little of the "war-fighting equipment" it would use in