Marine Assists at Scene of Serious Traffic Accident on Hwy 97
Jul 01,2006 00:00 by Bend Weekly News Sources
Two men were seriously injured Saturday afternoon during a three vehicle crash at the intersection of Highway 97 and Jericho Road about 15 miles south of Madras. The lead investigating Oregon State Police trooper expressed appreciation for a U.S. Marine in full dress uniform returning from the funeral for Tom Tucker who helped with first aid efforts for the injured man.

On July 1, 2006 at approximately 3:45 p.m., southbound traffic on Highway 97 in the area of Jericho Road was stopped. A 1991 Ford Escort 4-door station wagon driven by Michael Conklin, from Madras, was attempting to pull across Highway 97 eastbound on Jericho Road. As the Ford Escort drove between two stopped vehicles to go across the northbound lane, it was struck in the passenger side by a northbound 2002 Honda Accord driven by Steve A. Santos, 36, of Portland. After impact, the Ford Escort struck a stopped Subaru station wagon.

Conklin was seriously injured. He reportedly was taken by ambulance to Mt. View Hospital in Madras. An unidentified male passenger was also seriously injured and taken by AirLife to St. Charles Medical Center in Bend.

According to Oregon State Police Senior Trooper Terry Miller, Kevin Houser, a U.S. Marine traveling in the area stopped and was instrumental in providing first aid until medical personnel could arrive. Houser was returning from the military funeral for Tom Tucker in Redmond.

Santos and his passenger, Peter J. Citrano, from Anchorage, Alaska, were not injured.

The Ford Escort and Honda Accord were totaled in the crash.

The Subaru received minor damage. The two occupants, Richard and Mary Bradley, from Gresham, were not transported but Mary Bradley reportedly had minor injuries.

Highway 97 was closed about 70 minutes following the crash. ODOT assisted with traffic control during the investigation.

Oregon State Police troopers from the Bend Area Command office are continuing the investigation. Conklin reportedly was operating the vehicle with a suspended license, but no enforcement action has been taken at this time.