May 18,2007 00:00
Graduation. Parties. Weddings. Reunions. It's a season of celebrations and fashion designers are serving up delicious dollops of creamy white concoctions to add a frothy touch of glamour to warm weather wardrobes. It's easy to whip up a cool look with this new all-white recipe that goes with everything and anything.
- The white dress: Dresses have definitely been on the fashion menu this spring in bold prints and vivid color so it makes sense that moving on into summer, the white dress will make a big impression. In casual shifts and floats, the white dress easily goes from the beach to dinner. For more dressed up events, add a cardigan or jacket in a soft pastel or jet black.
- The white trench: In cotton or silk, the white trench coat is a classic summer staple that is one of the most versatile white fashion finds you can own. Layer it over a white T-shirt and jeans, or use it as an elegant wrap over a sleeveless dress for cooler days.
- The white pants: Another easy way to update your wardrobe instantly. No matter what color you prefer on top (electric blue, mint green or tangy coral are big hits this summer) - white pants - whether jeans, shorts, capris or trousers - automatically give your other clothes a fresh touch.
- The white shirt: Most of us have at least one hanging in our closets, but now there are so many different ways to top it all off with white that a shopping trip may be in your future. In gorgeous chiffons and silks, the white blouse is a stunning way to dress for a summer party. In textured cottons and linens, it's a great daytime basic to wear with just about anything. Supersize the white shirt and you've got a great swimsuit coverup.
- The white accessories: A must-have for this fashion season. Even if you don't own one white dress or pair of pants, you can do the white thing with a little bling. The white handbag in shiny quilted patent is a big hit. White strappy sandals with a rope wedge or white ballerina flats are another trendy way to brighten up your wardrobe. Or add white wraparound sunglasses to your shopping list this summer. Ditto for white enamel or plastic hoops, chunky bangles and chain-link necklaces. And the hottest white accessory of the moment? The bright white watch to get you all wound up to celebrate those summer days ahead.
Sharon Mosley is a former fashion editor of the Arkansas Gazette in Little Rock and executive director of the Fashion Editors and Reporters Association.
© Copley News Service