Improperly discarded cigarette ignites small DRW fire
Jun 12,2007 00:00 by Cheryl McDermott

A small fire reported by a neighbor of a Deschutes River Woods homeowner sounded a warning early enough to allow the residents to extinguish the blaze -- later traced to an improperly discarded cigarette -- before firefighters arrived Sunday night, officials reported.

The fire at 19038 Choctaw Road, a two-story home owned by Dennis Friore, was reported about 11:35 p.m., Bend Fire Captain Chuck Goss said.  The apparent cause of the blaze was found to be a cigarette in a trash can on a wooden deck.

“Remember to extinguish cigarettes in a metal container of water,” the captain reminded.