Jun 15,2007 00:00
LONDON - Seven people convicted in Britain of plotting terrorist attacks on both sides of the Atlantic were sentenced Friday to up to 26 years in prison.
The seven were recruited by Dhiren Barot, a Hindu convert to Islam who received a minimum 30-year sentence last year, The Telegraph reported.
"Barot was the instigator of this terrorist planning; he was by some considerable distance the principal participant in the conspiracy," the judge said. "Each one of you was recruited by Barot and assisted him at his request."
The defendants received sentences that ranged from 15 to 26 years.
Investigators say that Barot presented al-Qaida leaders with a lengthy memo in 2004 detailing suggested projects. They included parking limousines loaded with propane cylinders in underground garages, setting off a "dirty bomb" and blowing up subway trains under the Thames River to flood the tunnels.
Jonathan Laidlaw, the prosecutor, said that Barot needed people to provide housing and supplies and to serve as drivers and minders.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.