Jun 21,2007 00:00
This Saturday, June 23, marks the opening of the fireworks sales season.
Bend Fire and Rescue responds to fires each year caused by both illegal and legal fireworks. This is concerning, in that, the bulk of these incidents take place in a two to three week period. Oregon law forbids possession, use or sale of fireworks that fly, explode or travel more than six feet on the ground or 12 inches in the air.
To ensure that you are using legal fireworks, purchase them from a licensed firework stand or retail outlet in Oregon.
Laws and Penalties:
In addition to the safety concerns, individuals using fireworks should know that there are laws and penalties relating to fireworks:
· You must be at least 18 years of age to sell, keep or offer for sale, expose for sale, posses, use, explode or have exploded fireworks within the City limits of Bend. Violation of this law is a Class A civil infraction.
· You can be held liable for damages resulting from misuse of fireworks - legal or illegal.
· Parents can be held liable for damage caused by their children
· Have a bucket of water or hose nearby to "douse" misfired and spent fireworks and/or extinguish potential fires.
· Use fireworks outside on a paved surface, far away from buildings and vegetation.
· Only adults should handle or light fireworks. Supervise children at all times when using fireworks.
· Never aim fireworks at people, property, or pets.
· Never alter fireworks or make your own.
· Never pick up or try to re-light a "dud."
· Store fireworks, lighters, and matches out of the reach of children.