Jun 25,2007 00:00
PYONGYANG, North Korea -- A North Korean official said Monday the country is ready to shut down its nuclear program.
A spokesman for the North Korean Foreign Ministry told the official Korean Central News Agency that Pyongyang has received the $25 million in previously frozen funds and is prepared to move ahead with an international disarmament agreement, the South Korean Yonhap news agency reported.
On Tuesday, a delegation from the International Atomic Energy Agency is due to in Pyongyang for talks on shutting down the North Korean nuclear facilities.
The spokesman also said the $25 million will be spent on humanitarian efforts.
"The released money is planned to be used to improve the livelihood of the people and other humanitarian purposes as agreed," the spokesman said, Yonhap reported. North Korea agreed in February to shut down its nuclear program under a major international deal that had been held up when the transfer of the $25 million was delayed.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.