Britain sentences would-be bombers to life
Jul 11,2007 00:00
LONDON -- Four men found guilty of plotting a second round of London bombings in July 2005 were sentenced Wednesday to life in prison with a minimum of 40 years.
Group leader Muktar Said Ibrahim, Yassin Omar, Ramzi Mohammed and Hussain Osman were found guilty Monday of planning the July 21 attack to follow one two weeks earlier on the transit system that killed 56 people.
Their homemade bombs failed to explode and their defense was that they weren't meant to but were rigged as a protest to Britain's role in the war in Iraq, The Telegraph said.
At the sentencing, prosecutor Sue Hemming refuted the defense angle, the BBC said.
"While the implementation of their plan was incompetent, their aim was clear -- they wanted to kill and maim on a massive scale," Hemming said.
The judge agreed, saying he had no doubt about the timing of the second planned attack and there was "no doubt that they were both part of an al-Qaida-inspired and controlled sequence of attacks."
Two other men charged in the plot will have a retrial, as their jury was unable to reach a verdict, the BBC said.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.