Sep 14,2006 00:00
Bend Weekly News Sources
Winners Receive Cash Prize, Featured at The Nature of Words Open Mike Event
With the school year just getting underway, The Nature of Words,
Entries will be judged by a panel of well-known Northwest writers including: Fiction: Jane Kirkpatrick, author of A Clearing in the Wild and Hold Tight the Thread; Non-fiction: Jarold Ramsey, author of New Era, Reflections on the Human and Natural History of Central Oregon and Coyote Was Going There: Indian Literature of the Oregon Country; and Poetry: Judith Montgomery, author of Passion and Red Jess.
· The competition is open to writers in
· Writers must be a member of one of the eligible age categories: ages 15-18 or ages 19-25.
· Submitting writers may not have published a first book or chapbook, but may have had individual stories, essays or poems in print.
· Submit two copies of each entry. Poets may submit two unpublished poems (4 single-spaced pages, total); prose writers may submit an unpublished double-spaced piece of no more than 2500 words. “Publication” includes appearance on any Internet source except a blog. Use 8-1/2x 11 paper, and 12-pt. type. Entries will not be returned. Writers should not send their only copy of submitted work.
· The author’s name, address, phone number, and email should appear in the upper right-hand corner of every page. The first page should contain the word count (prose only).
· Entrants should include a brief cover letter with a paragraph of information about themselves and their interest in/experience in writing.
· Include a check for $5 (submission fee), payable to the
· Entries must be postmarked by September 30, 2006 (new deadline!) and mailed to Rising Star, The Nature of Words,
The Nature of Words is co-sponsored by the
This project was made possible in part by a grant from the Oregon Council for the Humanities, a statewide nonprofit organization and an independent affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities, which funds OCH’s grant program.