Boy, 5, dies from turkey-fryer burns
Aug 30,2007 00:00
WHEELING, Ill. - A 5-year-old Wheeling, Ill., boy has died three days after he crashed his bicycle into a turkey fryer filled with scalding oil.
Israel Hernandez was pronounced dead at 11:17 p.m. Wednesday at Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood where he had been airlifted after the accident Sunday, the Chicago Tribune reported.
The boy had been riding around the house at about 1 p.m. when he accidentally ran his bike into the fryer, which was set up alongside the home's driveway and filled with boiling cooking oil, said Wheeling Fire Lt. Bart Burns.
The oil splashed nearly 60 percent of the boy's body.
"We found him with severe burns from his shoulders on down," Burns said.
The boy's parents also injured their hands trying to help their son.
Copyright © 2007, by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.